The relationship between mycotoxins and joint pain isn’t fully understood, but it is known that joint pain from mold is one of many possible medical complications that can be caused by exposure to mold in the home. You’ve no doubt heard about the dangers of toxic mold in the home, but most molds are not really toxic. Some types of mold do produce toxic compounds, however, known as mycotoxins. It’s these compounds that can cause a myriad of medical problems, including joint pain.
Molds produce microscopic spores as a way of reproducing, much like plants reproduce through seeds. When mold spores are produced, mycotoxins are sometimes produced, too. Different types of molds produce different mycotoxins, which cause different symptoms. Scientists have identified more than 200 different mycotoxins produced by molds commonly found indoors in the U.S., and some of these cause muscle and joint pain and inflammation, along with other symptoms, including respiratory problems.
It’s hard to say how common joint pain caused by mold is, because not all doctors are well-informed about mycotoxins and joint pain, so they may misdiagnose the cause of pain in the joints. For instance, joint pain caused by mold often resembles rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia. While respiratory problems and other environmental allergy-type symptoms are more common symptoms of mold exposure, joint pain is another possible sign of exposure to mold, especially long-term exposure.
You can apply heat or ice, or alternate the two, to painful joints and that may provide some relief. Over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen might also help. If pain is severe or continues despite home remedies, see your doctor. Let your doctor know if you’ve been exposed to mold and ask about a possible connection between mycotoxins and joint pain in your case.
Doctors may prescribe pain medications and anti-inflammatory drugs for joint pain caused by mold, but if you continue to be exposed to mold, you’ll probably continue to have pain even with treatment. In order to achieve lasting relief, you’ll need to rid your home of all traces of mold so that you’re no longer exposed to the mycotoxins that cause joint pain.
Now that you understand the relationship between mycotoxins and joint pain, you can see why it’s so important to have all mold removed from your home as soon as possible if you’re suffering mold-related joint pain. Mold remediation is a complex process, though, because mold can grow in so many places, including those where it’s hard to find, like inside walls, above ceiling tiles, under carpets, in crawlspaces, and inside ventilation ducts. It’s also very difficult to remove mold from porous materials, like drywall and wood. Often materials, including drywall, insulation, floor boards, and ceiling tiles, must be removed and replaced. Home ventilation systems must be thoroughly cleaned.
If you’re experiencing joint pain and other symptoms of illness that might be related to mold, it’s recommended that you not attempt mold remediation on your own. That’s because the process of removing moldy materials and cleaning mold from non-porous surfaces stirs up mold spores, which can then be inhaled and make you much sicker. You should call in a mold remediation professional instead. Follow this link to get a list of qualified mold remediation professionals in your area. They offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose. Even if you end up deciding to handle the cleanup yourself, you’ll get valuable information and advice from a professional.
For more information about how mold grows and spreads in the home, as well as detailed information about mold remediation, we recommend the ebook A Homeowner’s Complete Guide to Mold Remediation, by mold remediation expert Brian Turner. Follow the link to read our review of this ebook.
Search This Website
Jan 27, 20 02:32 PM
Jan 27, 20 02:31 PM
Jan 20, 20 01:06 PM