Choosing a Mold Removal Service
Do you need to hire a mold removal service to help you with a household mold problem? Mold removal can be expensive and you’ll want to make sure you hire the right company for the job. Since your health and the health of your family rest on making sure the job is done right, it’s not a decision to be made lightly. While you probably want to get the mold removed from your home as soon as possible, and we recommend getting it taken care of as soon as possible to prevent any mold-related health problems from worsening, it’s still best to take the time you need to find the right company for the job.
Questions to Ask a Mold Remediation Service
Here are a few questions we recommend asking before hiring a mold removal service. Add any additional questions you may have and make sure you are satisfied with the answers before choosing a company to hire. It’s acceptable to contact more than one company, and even to have more than one company come to your home to inspect the problem and give you written estimates of the cost, before making a decision about which to hire.
We recommend against hiring companies that are unwilling to answer questions or provide references. Remember, this is a big investment. You should have access to all the information you need in order to make the best decision for yourself and your family.
- Are employees certified by any organization, like the National Organization of Remediators and Mold Inspectors, the Mold Inspection Consulting and Remediation Organization (MICRO), the Professional Mold Inspection Institute (PMII) and RespirNet (in association with The Environmental Solutions Association)? If so, what are the organization’s criteria for certification?
- How much experience do your employees have?
- Can you provide references, names and numbers of other customers for whom you’ve worked? (We recommend contacting more than one previous customer of a company when checking references.)
- Are you able to remove mold from heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems? Do you comply with the standards established by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association?
- Do you offer free in-home consultations?
- Can I get a free written estimate with no obligation before I decide if I want to hire you?
- I plan to file a claim with my homeowner’s insurance company to cover the cost of mold remediation. Are you accustomed to working with insurance companies? Can you provide the documentation my insurance company requires? (If you want the work to be covered by your homeowner’s insurance, check with your insurance company to see if they require you to use any particular mold removal service or if you can choose any company you like.)
- Do you offer any kind of guarantee for your work? What happens if I have my home tested for mold after the mold remediation is completed and mold is still found? (And we do recommend you have your home tested for mold after the job has been completed. For a list of certified mold testers in your area, click here.)
- How soon could you begin the job if I decide to hire you?
To Find Mold Remediation Services Near You
To assist you with your search for a mold remediation service, we’d like to offer you a list of professional mold removal services in your area. While we cannot make any guarantees about any particular company, we believe these companies provide quality services. Be sure to ask questions and also request references. For a list of mold removal services near you, follow the link.
Return From Mold Removal Service To Our What To Do About Mold Page
Return to Home Page
Cornell University: Choosing A Mold Remediation Contractor
NJ Dept of Health: Mold Guidelines