Federal Ranger exposed to toxic mold due to faulty AC Unit

by Jeanne Phin
(Vinton VA)

I was exposed to toxic mold as a Federal Ranger at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Due to a Faulty AC unit, the moisture was flowing inside the walls instead of outdoors in the drainage system. I was exposed for several months before the black mold became apparent. I was told at an all-hands meeting by my supervisor that the mold remediator told her that Black mold is a media sensation and she winked at me like I was the village idiot.

I could not catch a good breath, and I am still exhausted. I suffered hair loss, a heart attack, arrhythmia, tachycardia, brain fog, chronic fatigue, and a carcinoma mass on my right kidney that caused me to have my right kidney removed. I had heart surgery for arrhythmia, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, metallic taste in my mouth, tested high for mold allergies, food allergies, IBS, and cannot control my bladder. I also now suffer from anxiety and depression.

I have lost my job as a Federal Ranger due to not being physically fit to be a Federal Ranger any longer. I was medivac to Flag Staff due to Kidney Failure, at a cost of $60,000. The medical bills are about $300,000 and workers comp denies my claim despite the air quality report stating very clearly my air quality was poisoned by toxic mold, and that I was supposed to be supplied with protective safety gear including a respirator and trained on its use. My health is greatly diminished, my emotional well being is gone, and the financial devastation has left me completely broke and in debt.

I finally found an environmental specialist in the field of mold, Doctor Lawson. She found mold in my blood, feces, and urine. I am now determining if the mold broke through my blood-brain barrier, which is highly likely. Apparently very small amounts of breathed in molds can cause these health symptoms and death. I suffered from gross negligence and I am paying the price.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Stories About Mold.

Return to Home Page