Why use DampRid to prevent mold growth? Because it’s like using a dehumidifier in a can. Also, it doesn't need electricity to do its work. DampRid is a product designed to remove moisture from the air, which helps prevent excessive humidity and reduces the chances for mold and mildew to develop and grow. It is made with of a non-toxic, all-natural inorganic mineral salt called calcium chloride, which naturally absorbs moisture from the air. Mold requires moisture or higher than normal humidity to thrive and grow. By assisting in keeping the amount of moisture in the air below 60 percent, DampRid can help prevent mold from growing in your home.
Calcium chloride looks like large crystals of salt, very similar to what rock salt looks like. It is found in many commonly used products, including de-icers used to melt snow and ice in the winter. The moisture-absorbing qualities of calcium chloride are why it is used in DampRid.
Place DampRid in an area of your home that commonly has higher humidity or seems to always have a damp feeling. The crystals will begin immediately to absorb excess moisture from the air. When the crystals become saturated with moisture, they begin to harden and form a solid mass. They then dissolve and release the moisture into the bottom of the container. This process will usually take a few days before you will notice anything is happening. It’s as simple as that. Once the bottom chamber is close to being filled, you empty it and refill the top chamber and it’s ready to go to work again. How long this entire process takes depends on how much moisture is in the air, but one container of crystals may last up to a month.
The DampRid crystals only start pulling moisture out of the air when the humidity reaches 60 percent or greater. This prevents the air from getting too dry while still inhibiting mold growth, since mold is unlikely to grow when humidity is lower than 60 percent.
You’ll probably need a container of DampRid for each room in your home if moisture and humidity are an issue in the whole home. In a large area like a basement, you might need a couple of containers. Just place them at opposite ends of the basement.
DampRid will work in many places other than your home. It can be used in storage lockers, cars, RVs, and boats. Wherever you might have a moisture problem you can use DampRid.
It’s safe for most people to use, although care must be taken if you are using it around small children or pets. The manufacturer says it is non-toxic and that if children or pets put it in their mouths, they won’t swallow it, but will spit it out due to the bad taste. Just make sure that the container is located up high, out of the reach of children and pets.
Our research found that calcium chloride might cause skin irritation if it comes in contact with the skin and the International Labor Organization (ILO) recommends wearing gloves when handling it. Calcium chloride can cause burns in the mouth and esophagus, as well as cause effects like stomach pain, vomiting, low blood pressure, weakness, irregular heartbeat, mental disturbances and can even result in a coma if swallowed, so we agree it is best not to risk it if you have small kids or pets in the home.
The manufacturer recommends not putting DampRid on metal or leather surfaces, as calcium chloride can damage those materials if it comes into contact with them.
While DampRid will reduce moisture in your home and thereby help to prevent mold, we think a good dehumidifier does an even better job. DampRid only removes moisture from the air immediately around the container, so for a large room, you would likely need multiple containers. A centrally located dehumidifier circulates air around the room removing moisture throughout the area and works over a much larger area and does a more efficient job.
Also, keep in mind that DampRid only reduces humidity levels once the level reaches 60 percent and above. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the optimal moisture levels to prevent mold growth in the home are between 30-50%.
A dehumidifier does cost more, at least initially, but will most likely save you money over time since a good dehumidifier will last for years while DampRid and similar products must be replaced frequently. A dehumidifier is safer to use in a home with pets or small children, too. Here is more information on choosing the best dehumidifier for your home.
While a dehumidifier is a great way to prevent mold in your home, it won’t get rid of an existing mold problem. If you think you have a mold problem in your home, we recommend consulting with a mold remediation specialist. Our list of pre-qualified, mold remediation specialists offer free in-home consultations. They will come to your home, inspect for mold, and provide you with a written estimate for the cost of mold removal, if any is found. They will also offer advice about how to prevent mold problems from developing again in the future. There is no cost to you and no obligation, so we recommend taking advantage of this free expert advice even if you plan to deal with the mold problem in your home yourself. To find experienced mold remediation specialists offering free in-home consultations in your area, just follow the link.
Search This Website
Apr 24, 20 01:40 PM
Jan 27, 20 02:32 PM
Jan 27, 20 02:31 PM