Getting Rid Of Mold


We are often asked why getting rid of mold is so important and what makes house mold removal so difficult. Of course, mold in the home is unattractive, but that’s really the least of the problems it can cause.

What Makes Removing Mold So Important?

Ridding your home of mold is important for several reasons.

Perhaps most importantly, exposure to mold, especially some types of household mold, presents a serious health risk. Exposure to mold has been associated with a wide range of health problems including allergic reactions, respiratory disorders such as asthma and pneumonia, joint pain and inflammation, depression, and fatigue. While young children, elderly people, and those with pre-existing health conditions are at increased risk, even healthy young adults can be negatively affected by exposure to mold. Family pets can also become ill due to mold exposure.

In addition, mold eats away at the structure of a home, literally destroying wood and other materials. In severe cases, buildings have actually been destroyed when mold infestation has gone unchecked for a long period of time.

Finally, most types of mold grow and spread very rapidly, so getting rid of mold in a timely manner is very important. The longer you put off the task, the worse your mold problem will become.

What Makes Getting Rid of Mold So Difficult?

House mold removal is not an easy task, for a number of reasons.

First, most types of mold grow and spread rapidly and easily, and the process of cleaning up mold can actually disperse tiny mold spores and help them spread. If you don’t take the proper precautions, you can inadvertently end up making things worse instead of better.

Mold in wall

Second, mold can grow in places where it’s hard to spot it, like inside your walls (see picture), under your carpet, above your ceiling tiles, and inside heating and ventilation ducts. If you can’t find it, you can’t remove it. Even if you know you have mold growing in these places, it can be hard to get to it to remove it properly.

Finally, house mold removal increases your exposure to potentially harmful mold spores, by stirring them up. While it’s necessary to remove mold in order to prevent illness, the very process of removing the mold can temporarily exacerbate symptoms of exposure to mold, including respiratory problems, which can be severe.

For More Information about Removing Mold Safely

If you have any chronic health problems, like asthma or emphysema, or your immune system is suppressed due to illness or something like chemotherapy, or you are allergic to mold, you should check with your doctor to see if it is safe for you to remove household mold. Your doctor may recommend that you hire a professional for the job instead, to prevent exposure to mold spores that may worsen your condition.

If you want more information about mold removal methods and how to do the job safely, we suggest the ebook A Homeowner’s Complete Guide to Performing Mold Remediation by mold removal expert Brian Turner. To learn more about this book, just follow the link.

You can also consult with a mold removal professional, even if you plan to do the work yourself. Most offer free consultations and will visit your home, inspect the moldy areas, answer any questions, and discuss the safety precautions you need to take during the mold removal process. You can then choose to hire a professional for the job or choose to handle it yourself, but either way you’ll benefit from some expert advice. Follow the link to find qualified mold removal professionals offering free consultations in your area.


Return From Getting Rid Of Mold To Our Main Remediation Page

Return to Home Page


Mold Exposure Symptoms

Does Insurance Cover Mold Removal?

Personal Protection When Removing Mold

Pictures of Black Mold







Moldy materials being removed in double plastic bags
Pin It

Moldy insulation being removed from an attic, double bagged.